We have had quite the rainy season in Richmond these past few months. This type of weather can put a damper on outdoor activities, but offers a great opportunity for some indoor improvements. Here are 5 simple things you can do on a rainy day to improve your home.
1. Seal up doors and windows. Purchase some inexpensive weatherstripping from your local hardware and go around your house sealing up any doorway or window that has air leaks. This simple thing will save you money and keep the heat where you want it - inside!
2. Check for little leaks. Put a few drops of food coloring in the back of your toilet tank and wait 30 minutes. If the color comes through to the bowl it means you have a leak. Most of these leaks are simple fixes, like replacing the flapper, which you can get from a hardware store.
3. Wash all your curtains. Taking down your window hangings may seem like a hassle, but if you clean them now, you will likely be more apt to use them to keep the heat in this winter. Closing your curtains can help reduce your energy costs during colder months.
4. Turn your water heater down to 115 degrees. By reducing the temperature by just a few degrees, you could have some serious money on your energy bill. Most water heaters are automatically set to 140.
5. Plan some activities for when the rain stops. Nothing will get you through a dreary day like planning something fun to do when the weather clears up. There are so many great things to do around the Richmond area that you are sure to find a fun activity!