Click here to schedule
an appointment

According to the a recent study by a government commission, over 150 people die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning. Because this silent killer cannot be detected by sight, taste or smell, having carbon monoxide detectors in your home is essential for detecting a carbon monoxide leak. Once you've chosen the best detector for your home, you should also know what to do should the alarm ever go off. After moving to a safe place with fresh air, contact your fire department and make sure they check for the following carbon monoxide leak trouble spots:

  • Check flue pipes and gas- or oil-venting systems for leaks caused by cracks, holes, corrosion or blocked air filters.
  • Check to see if the furnace, burner or ignition system flame is looking flat and yellow, which can indicate a carbon monoxide leak.
  • Inspect all chimneys or venting systems for blockages caused by debris, holes, cracks or animal nests, which can cause the dangerous gas to be forced into your home and not out. Be sure to remove any buildup of soot, and make sure the chimney is not bent.
  • Inspect the venting and fan systems on household appliances such as water and space heaters, dryers and wood burning stoves.
  • Since stove pilot lights don't vent to the outside of the home, check to make sure they are operating properly.
  • Inspect fireplace pilot lights as well for proper ventilation.

You can avoid setting off your carbon monoxide alarms by never cooking with the oven door open and never using a charcoal or gas grill inside your home. Both can release excess gases into your home. It is also very important to remember to never leave a car running inside a garage with the door open or closed. Both are very dangerous. For more expert advice about carbon monoxide leaks and other issues related to home comfort, please contact us at Gilman Heating and Cooling. We are proud to serve the Richmond, Ashland, Henrico, Chesterfield, Hanover and Glen Allen areas.