Click here to schedule
Richmond has notoriously crazy weather. We can go from snow to 60 degrees in one day. That fluctuation can make it difficult to plan. Regardless of the temperature outside right now, we know cold weather can be right around the corner.
Here are 7 tips to keep you ready for winter weather:
We hope you and your family stay safe and warm this winter. Give the G-Men at Gilman a call for all your heating and plumbing problems!
This holiday we want you be safe and have fun with your family. Here are a few safety tips to have the best possible holiday from the G-Man:
1. Make sure your string lights are safe. Be sure the cord is not frayed, the bulbs aren't cracked or broken and the connector is in tact.
2. Always turn lights off when you leave the house. From the Christmas tree to lights in the window, make sure they are all off before you head out to your holiday parties!
3. Keep your tree green! Make sure to keep your tree healthy and fresh by watering it on a regular basis (or buy a fake one and never worry). Dry trees are more likely to catch fire.
4. When hanging lights make sure you are being safe. Use a regulation ladder or step stool to give you the extra height you need.
5. Be sure your furnace is clean and running well. Have one of our certified techs come do an inspection to make sure you and your family are safe as the temperatures dip.
6. When going out at night to neighborhood parties, caroling, etc. be sure to be well lit and visible to cars.
Plumbing problems are some of the most annoying issues a homeowner can have. At Gilman, we are committed to high quality plumbing repair and service.
Here a few signs it may be time to upgrade or replace your plumbing:
If you have any plumbing questions, call the G-Men!
To avoid large plumbing issues, often it just takes a little work on your end to keep your systems in tip top shape. Read on for some common plumbing issues and how you can fix them at home.
1. Dripping Faucet - a common problem that can really escalated the cost of your water bill. Often the drip is caused by an old washer. Try replacing that to see if the leaks stop.
2. Low Water Pressure - surely one of the most annoying plumbing issues. Low water can be caused by calcium build up over time. A quick solution to this is rinse your faucets with vinegar. To do this affix a plastic bag filled with vinegar over the faucet head overnight.
3. Running Toilet - a toilet that is constantly running can be a nuisance. Often the issue is the flapper does not close all the way. There are simple toilet repair kits for this.
4. Leaky Pipes - usually a sign of a bigger issue, but can sometimes be a quick fix. Start by checking and tightening the joints. If this doesn't solve the problem, please call a professional.
5. Clogged Drains - often an easy fix for a homeowner. Take out your trusty plunger or drain cleaner and this will generally clear up.
If any of these issues persist or you do not feel comfortable with the repair, always call a professional like Gilman to help you out. Regular maintenance checks, like ones with our comfort plan, are a great way to get ahead of bigger issues to save time, money and hassle in the long run.
As the season starts to turn, it’s the perfect time to give your HVAC system a little extra care to be sure it’s running efficiently before the cold weather strikes. Here are some tips from the G-Man:
Change your Air Filters
Your air filter collects dust, dirt and allergens. If the filter is dirty, it will reduce the system's airflow. This can cause the unit to cool inefficiently. When dirt gets on the coils, it allows frost to build up, making it more difficult for the unit to cool your house and could even cause water damage in your home. Pet hair, smoke and home renovations can mean you may need to change your filter more frequently.
Update your Thermostat Settings
A programmable thermostat can help reduce energy costs by programming the temperatures for when the home is occupied and unoccupied. Upgrading to a programmable wifi thermostat can increase your peace of mind by easily controlling the settings while you are away from your home during work, holidays and other trips.
Monitor Humidity Levels
Humidity is a comfort problem and can cause an unhealthy indoor environment. Make sure all exhaust fans (kitchen, bathroom, laundry vents, etc.) are vented to the outside and use ceiling fans to increase ventilation. A dehumidifier and humidistat can help monitor and manage your homes indoor humidity level as well.
Check your Outdoor Landscaping
Keep outdoor units clean and free of debris. Trim back tall grass, shrubs or trees and clean the outside coils with a garden hose before the temperatures get in the freezing range.
Schedule your Maintenance Inspection
Some things should be left to the professionals, like your routine precision tune-up. During your fall maintenance inspections, Gilman will preform an all-points inspection to include the following:
Give us a call today or book your appointment online before the cold sets in.