The cool weather has arrived in Richmond! While you may not be using your heat yet, that time is just around the corner. Be sure that your system is ready with these tips from the G-Man.
1. Replace filters. Air filters should be replaced at least every 3 months. Dirty air filters cause your HVAC system to work harder, resulting in lower efficiency and higher energy bills.
2. Listen up. When you turn your HVAC unit on listen for any unusual sounds, like banging and rattling. These sounds can be signs of a problem with your heating system.
3. Clean up. Vacuum and clean any debris that may have accumulated around your HVAC system. You should also vacuum any debris from your furnace blower compartment.
4. Clear air vents. Remove anything blocking air vents. Furniture, toys, and other clutter can block air vents which makes your HVAC system work harder and not as efficiently.
5. Schedule a check. Now is the time for your fall maintenance check. Regular check-ups save you time, energy, and money in the long run. Our Comfort Plan is a great way to ensure you get the best service each time.
Enjoy the fall season without the worry of your heating system.
Hurricane Florence is on the move this week toward Virginia. While getting water, bread and milk are important in preparing for a hurricane, there are a few other things you can do to ensure your safety and the safety of your home.
1. Clear all debris. Walk around your yard before the storm and see what may cause a problem. Are there loose tree limbs that can be cleaned up? Things like this can hit your house and your HVAC unit and cause damage. A quick clean up can save you time, money and worry later.
2. Strap down items that are a flight risk. Things like trash cans and lawn chairs might be too lightweight to stay down in a strong storm. Use bungee cords or other straps to secure these items so they don't cause damage.
3. Bring small items inside. While you strap down the larger items, bring in things like toys and pillows. The fewer items flying around your yard, the better. If you are low on storage areas for these items, use a bathtub or shower. Bonus points if you wash them while they are in there!
4. Check your air conditioning unit for loose nuts or bolts. Make sure everything is secure on your air conditioner. If the storm is violent it can shake these items loose and the chances of finding them again are slim. Make sure it is steady on its platform and doesn't wobble.
5. Have your unit inspected. In the event of a power outage always have your unit inspected when the power returns.
The G-Man wishes you and your family safety through the hurricane. Even if the power goes out, there are still ways to stay entertained. We like a classic board game or cards!
Did you know August is Water Quality Month? We often take water for granted. It simply comes out of our faucets or hose, but there are a few steps we can take to ensure good quality water in our neighborhoods.
1. Pick up after your pet. You may think is no big deal, but pet waste becomes part of the runoff that enters our streams and rivers. Better safe than sorry and just pick it up.
2. Watch what you put on your grass. Fertilizers and pesticides can be harmful to our water systems. Look for natural treatments for your yard.
3. Wash your car and other things outside sparingly. You probably didn't realize all the soap and suds can harm your drinking water. You can also use a car wash that has special drains.
4. Be careful about what you put down the drain. Harmful things like motor oil and household cleaners can be a problem.
If you are having any water issues with your plumbing, give the G-Man a call!
With the summer heat in Richmond, VA you may be thinking about investing in a programmable thermostat. There are some great benefits, including:
1. Saving Money. This is the top reason most homeowners choose to make the switch.
2. Comfort. Keeping your thermostat at the consistent temperature you want will keep your house comfortable all summer.
3. Time Saver. Not having to get up and change your thermostat is a great time saver.
4. Less Worry. You won't need to worry about your home's temperature with a programmable thermostat.
With the rising cost of running air conditioning units and your busy schedule, a programmable thermostat could be a great improvement to your home. There are a ton of great options out there. If you need help choosing, give the G-Men at Gilman a call today!
It's no secret that the summer heat in Richmond is hot! With temperatures already in the 90s, the G-Man is sharing the top tips to survive this summer!
1. Start outside. Landscaping your yard to provide shading on your house helps your air conditioning. A shaded home is a cooler home, which means your air conditioning unit has to do less work.
2. Give your air conditioning a boost with ceiling fans. Make sure you have your fans set on the summer setting and keep them on throughout the day.
3. Seal up all the cracks in windows and doors. You don't need to cool down the outside. Keep all that lovely air conditioning inside for your family.
4. Keep your filters clean. A dirty filter is a less efficient filter, which makes your air conditioning work harder. Making your air conditioning work more efficiently will always keep your home cooler.
5. Call a professional. If your air conditioning is not performing at it's best, give us a call. We can perform a maintenance check and get you cooled down.
Additional tip: cold ice cream always helps you cool down!