Click here to schedule
To avoid large plumbing issues, often it just takes a little work on your end to keep your systems in tip top shape. Read on for some common plumbing issues and how you can fix them at home.
1. Dripping Faucet - a common problem that can really escalated the cost of your water bill. Often the drip is caused by an old washer. Try replacing that to see if the leaks stop.
2. Low Water Pressure - surely one of the most annoying plumbing issues. Low water can be caused by calcium build up over time. A quick solution to this is rinse your faucets with vinegar. To do this affix a plastic bag filled with vinegar over the faucet head overnight.
3. Running Toilet - a toilet that is constantly running can be a nuisance. Often the issue is the flapper does not close all the way. There are simple toilet repair kits for this.
4. Leaky Pipes - usually a sign of a bigger issue, but can sometimes be a quick fix. Start by checking and tightening the joints. If this doesn't solve the problem, please call a professional.
5. Clogged Drains - often an easy fix for a homeowner. Take out your trusty plunger or drain cleaner and this will generally clear up.
If any of these issues persist or you do not feel comfortable with the repair, always call a professional like Gilman to help you out. Regular maintenance checks, like ones with our comfort plan, are a great way to get ahead of bigger issues to save time, money and hassle in the long run.
As the season starts to turn, it’s the perfect time to give your HVAC system a little extra care to be sure it’s running efficiently before the cold weather strikes. Here are some tips from the G-Man:
Change your Air Filters
Your air filter collects dust, dirt and allergens. If the filter is dirty, it will reduce the system's airflow. This can cause the unit to cool inefficiently. When dirt gets on the coils, it allows frost to build up, making it more difficult for the unit to cool your house and could even cause water damage in your home. Pet hair, smoke and home renovations can mean you may need to change your filter more frequently.
Update your Thermostat Settings
A programmable thermostat can help reduce energy costs by programming the temperatures for when the home is occupied and unoccupied. Upgrading to a programmable wifi thermostat can increase your peace of mind by easily controlling the settings while you are away from your home during work, holidays and other trips.
Monitor Humidity Levels
Humidity is a comfort problem and can cause an unhealthy indoor environment. Make sure all exhaust fans (kitchen, bathroom, laundry vents, etc.) are vented to the outside and use ceiling fans to increase ventilation. A dehumidifier and humidistat can help monitor and manage your homes indoor humidity level as well.
Check your Outdoor Landscaping
Keep outdoor units clean and free of debris. Trim back tall grass, shrubs or trees and clean the outside coils with a garden hose before the temperatures get in the freezing range.
Schedule your Maintenance Inspection
Some things should be left to the professionals, like your routine precision tune-up. During your fall maintenance inspections, Gilman will preform an all-points inspection to include the following:
Give us a call today or book your appointment online before the cold sets in.
Did you know that cooling your home accounts for 15% of all home energy usage? While that may seem like a lot, think about the work it has to do cooling your home top to bottom! No other appliance has to work that hard (well, beside your heating system, but that's for another season).
So what is the most effective use of that 15%? A couple window units throughout the home, or a central air system?
There are pluses and minuses to both:
Whichever you have, don't forget Gilman can service it for you. And if you decide you are ready for an upgrade, we can take care of that too!
It gets hot in Richmond during the summer. Here are a few tips and tricks to make sure your AC is running at full capacity:
If your AC is just not cutting it this summer, let one of our certified technicians come out to look at your system today. We can look and see if you need a new unit and you could be on your way to cooler days tomorrow! Schedule your appointment online, or give us a call and talk to one of our customer service reps 804-977-2593.
We all love our 4th of July cookouts, barbeques and fireworks, but those things can come with an element of danger. Don't worry, the G-Man is here to give you some quick tips on how to stay safe while having fun this holiday weekend!
1. Keep children away from grills and open flame, they get curious and just want to touch things
2. If you are hosting a cookout, make sure you have insect repellent for your guests
3. Make sure an adult is the one handling any fireworks
4. Make sure that adult is not intoxicated. Alcohol and combustables do not mix
5. Keep a bucket of water handy for fireworks, sparklers and anything else you may need to distinguish quickly
We hope you have a fantastic holiday weekend and of course, if you need us, call. We will have our team on call to assist with hvac and plumbing needs.