So, you made the leap and went from renting to buying! Congratulations. Now what? The hard part begins. Before you close on a house you want to make sure the HVAC unit you just bought along with that cute new house is in good shape.
The G-Man has a few tips to help you out:
1. Look at the unit. This may seem obvious, but visually inspecting the unit is important. If it looks dirty or rusty that means the current owners have not taken good care of it. While you are looking the outside unit, make sure to look for any leaks. On the inside, check out the air filters. If they are filthy, they haven't been changed in a while and the system is not running at peak performance.
2. Figure out the age of the unit. It is okay to ask questions. This is a big purchase you are making. An HVAC unit has a typical lifespan of 15 years.
3. Check out the SEER rating. This has to do with how energy efficient the system is. Check out www.energystar.gov to see if the system has a good rating.
4. Run the system while you are in the house. Does every room feel cool? How long does it take for the system to get up to speed? All of these questions can be indicators to how well the system is working.
Bonus: If you are unsure, have a qualified professional come check out the system for you.
It has been a HOT summer in Richmond. We hit 100 degrees over the weekend and it surely won't be the last time. With these hot temperatures, your air conditioning may have some trouble keeping up. Here are a few quick and easy tips to keep your home nice and cool on these warm days:
1. Change the filter. Dirt and grime can block the air conditioning unit from doing its best work. If it looks dusty or discolored switch it out. Your home will thank you!
2. Check that all the ducts are connected. Overtime ducts can become loose and may become disconnected. Make sure that all your air ducts are fully connected.
3. Check for cracks or air leaks. You don't need to air-condition the outside. Make sure all windows and doors have a tight seal to keep all your cool air inside.
4. Shade your unit. If possible, place your unit in the shade. Your unit will run more efficiently if it is placed in a nice cool spot.
5. Call a professional. If you feel like your unit is not performing at its best, give us a call. Our trained technicians can do an all-points inspection to insure your unit is running at maximum capacity.
Don't forget to sign up for our 100 degrees contest! Every time it hits 100 in Richmond this summer we are giving away a $100 gift card.
Summer has just begun and RVA is already feeling the heat. With temperatures well above 90 degrees, are you prepared?
The G-Man has a few tips for surviving the summer in Richmond:
The temperature is rising in RVA and we hope these tips will help you out.
Bonus tip: Enter our 100 degrees contest for a chance to win a $100 gift card! Enter here.
Our President, Winston Hancock, talks about celebrating 100 years with Gilman.
"Gilman has come a long way over the past 100 years. When we opened in 1917, our plumbers carried homemade wooden toolboxes and rode the trolley to service calls. At that time, two service calls a day was a lot. In 2017, we no longer take the trolley and our number of service calls per day has greatly increased with technology.
We opened our original location on Cary Street and have moved several times before building our current facility in Ashland. No matter where we are in Richmond or the surrounding areas, we remember our humble beginnings. I have been in this business for a long time. Plumbing is in my genes; my grandfather was also in the business.
I have been the owner and president of Gilman Heating, Cooling & Plumbing for 21 years. It is an honor and pleasure to serve our customers, some of whom have been with us since before I owned the company and others who are brand new homeowners. One thing has not changed in the last century – our commitment to customer service and to each and every one of you. Thank you for being a loyal Gilman customer. We look forward to the next 100 years!"
-- Winston Hancock
We wait all year for summer. We think fondly of the pool, popsicles, and trips to the beach. We tend to forget that summer comes with humidity and high energy costs. From running the air conditioner to driving to vacation, your costs can really add up.
Here are a few ways we can help you save some dough this season (at least on HVAC):
If you do need to purchase a system we have you covered! In celebration of our 100th birthday, we are offering an awesome deal for our customers - 10-year financing, 10-year warranty, and 10-year comfort plan. Check out Centennial Sale here.
We hope you have a rockin' summer in RVA! Don't forget to enter our 100 degrees contest - every time it hits 100 degrees in Richmond, you could win $100!