Happy Earth Day RVA! Earth day started in 1970 as a way to get a few more trees in the world, now it represents so much more, recycling, renewable energy and more! At Gilman, we are all about energy conservation and awareness. Did you know we have technology that can heat and cool your home using energy from the earth's core? It's called Geothermal Technology! The geothermal heat pump unit is connected to the earth through a series of durable polyethylene pipes. The most common configurations are either open-loop or closed-loop design. The closed-loop system has become the most popular since it uses a proprietary antifreeze solution that is continuously circulated through the piping network. As a completely self-contained system, the chances of leakage or system failure are very low. This system is not only energy-efficient, but it also saves you a ton of money, has low repair needs and is extremely safe for your home. If you are looking for a new system, or are simply interested in learning how your home can become more energy-efficient, give us a call! To learn more about the geothermal system, visit the Geothermal Services page.
Meet Lance, one of our fantastic HVAC Service Techs! I am from Goochland, VA & bring over 20 years of HVAC experience to Gilman Heating & Cooling. I like being able to help people in their time of need. I enjoy hunting, fishing and spending time with family & friends on our farm. What’s your area of expertise? I am able to help our clients in their time of need with over 25 years of experience in the industry working on many different types of systems and brands. What’s your favorite HVAC product? I really have two products due to customer feedback. Geothermal systems and UV lights. Geothermal systems amaze me at how efficient they operate and I always get great testimonials from clients on how the UV lights have increased their home comfort level. What are your personal interests outside of work? I enjoy competitive bass fishing and also hunt as much as possible. What else would you like our customers to know about you? I’m getting married on May 7th and already in the process of building our first home. Thank you Lance for offering great Gilman service everyday! And good luck with your wedding!
While most of our services benefit the interior of your home, we still think the exterior landscape is very important! In honor of Lawn and Garden Month, we have pulled together five tips on how to have an easy, but nice looking yard this spring:
- Water your lawn in the morning. The sunlight will help dry out your grass (in a good way) throughout the day. Nighttime watering can leave your ground soaking and cause problems for your lawn. Mid Afternoon, high-heat watering can scorch your grass. Water your lawn while you have breakfast and you will be all set for the day!
- Water less days, for longer. The water needs to seep into the roots of your plants and grass, not just coat the exterior. We recommend about 45 minutes (in the mornings).
- Plant easy things like pansies, kale, etc. that can tolerate the cold so you don't have to worry about the late frost.
- Know your frost date! The frost date this year for Richmond is April 20. After that, all plants should be okay and you can plant whatever you like without worry. We recommend picking up some already blooming plants from your local store to save you the hassle (and wait time).
- Our last tip is less about the care and more about you. Get out and enjoy your outdoors. Whether you have a full blooming garden, a simple patch of grass or store bought flowers in vase, spring is beautiful here in RVA, so make sure you take advantage.
Find out more about Lawn and Garden Month here.
"What did one toilet say to the other?" "You look flushed!" Happy April Fool's Day! All joking aside, a clogged toilet, leaky faucet and other plumbing issues are no joke. This week we want to help you with a few simple plumbing tips:
- Check your faucets for drips or leaks.
- Make sure all drains have strainers to prevent hair, soap, and debris from clogging the drain lines.
- Check all your toilets for hidden leaks by adding six drops of food coloring to the toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, the color will appear in the bowl within 30 minutes.
- Inspect tank and bowl for external for cracks or leaks.
- Exercise water supply valves under sinks and toilets to prevent them from sticking.
- Make sure your toilets flush properly. If the handle must be held down for a thorough flush or jiggled to stop the water from running you may need to replace worn tank parts. They're inexpensive and you'll notice a lower water bill. (Bonus!)
- Clean mineral deposits from your shower head. Unscrew it and soak in vinegar or fill a plastic baggie with vinegar; place it over the showerhead and hold in place with a rubber band. Soak overnight then remove and gently scrub with an old toothbrush to remove deposits.
With these simple tips, you can lead a (hopefully) pain-free spring with no plumbing issues. If you find yourself with plumbing problems you cannot solve yourself, give us a call!
Spring is finally here in Richmond! Make sure you are ready with a few simple spring cleaning tips:
- Start with your windows. Nothing makes a home shine brighter than clean windows. Let that natural sunlight stream in through your fresh clean windows!
- Clean all linens and towels. Start the season with clean sheets, towels, blankets, etc. Be sure to ditch anything stained, ripped, or otherwise ruined. While you're cleaning your bedding, add some spring colors to your palette to brighten up your room.
- Change your ceiling fan back to counterclockwise. This pulls the warm air up and gives you a pleasant breeze throughout the room. (This is assuming you ever changed it in the winter.)
- Clean out your fridge. This is generally a neglected task, but a very important one. Make sure you deep clean now to make room for all your cookout essentials - burgers, hotdogs, watermelon, summer refreshments and more!
- Deep clean floors, carpets, and rugs. From bringing in snow and salt on your boots your floors have been through a lot. Start the spring season with fresh floors and rugs underfoot.
- Get your air conditioning unit checked. This is important! You don't want to learn on during a sudden hot day that your air conditioning is not working, or not working efficiently. We can help you! Call us today for your spring inspection. We will make sure you are in good working order for the upcoming season.