"What did one toilet say to the other?" "You look flushed!" Happy April Fool's Day! All joking aside, a clogged toilet, leaky faucet and other plumbing issues are no joke. This week we want to help you with a few simple plumbing tips:
- Check your faucets for drips or leaks.
- Make sure all drains have strainers to prevent hair, soap, and debris from clogging the drain lines.
- Check all your toilets for hidden leaks by adding six drops of food coloring to the toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, the color will appear in the bowl within 30 minutes.
- Inspect tank and bowl for external for cracks or leaks.
- Exercise water supply valves under sinks and toilets to prevent them from sticking.
- Make sure your toilets flush properly. If the handle must be held down for a thorough flush or jiggled to stop the water from running you may need to replace worn tank parts. They're inexpensive and you'll notice a lower water bill. (Bonus!)
- Clean mineral deposits from your shower head. Unscrew it and soak in vinegar or fill a plastic baggie with vinegar; place it over the showerhead and hold in place with a rubber band. Soak overnight then remove and gently scrub with an old toothbrush to remove deposits.
With these simple tips, you can lead a (hopefully) pain-free spring with no plumbing issues. If you find yourself with plumbing problems you cannot solve yourself, give us a call!